With the changing times of COVID and gigs moving all over the world, actors self taping auditions is necessary. Instead of paying a service to self tape, here is an easy way to set up your own self tape audition. What's great is these items are easy to set up and easy to store.
1) Ring Light: This Neewer Ring Light ranges from a powerful light or can be dimmed down to a soft light. This is great as you can find the right amount of light for your skin tone and the room you are filming your self tape audition in. This ring light is sturdy and Neewer brand is a well respected light company.
2) Back Drop: This Neewer Collapsable 5X7 Backdrop is perfect for small spaces. The kit comes with the backdrop and the reversible green and blue screen. In addition, it comes with the support stand. You can fold it back up and store the backdrop. A nice blue or gray always works for auditions. The green is great for green screen productions. You can turn the backdrop vertical or horizontal. I am not sponsored by Neewer, they just make quality products.
P.S. There is an art to getting these back in the bag like folding a burrito.
SELF TAPE AUDITIONS
3) Set your backdrop on a wall. Stand a couple of feet away from the backdrop so you don't have a shadow. Set your ring light in front of you, preferably 6 feet away from where you will be standing.
4) Use you smart phone and film vertically. YES, VERTICALLY so it doesn't crop your video when sending it to casting directors.
5) Use iMovie to edit and add your slate.
6) Compress your file if needed. You can right click on the file and select compress file so that it is not over 100MB. Many casting directors do not accept files larger files.
7) Title your file accordingly. Did you know that some casting directors will not look at your self tape if it is not addressed in way they asked it to be? Read, then reread the instructions!
BEFORE FILMING A SELF TAPE AUDITION, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE AUDITION AND FOLLOW ACCORDINGLY
BREAK A LEG!!!